Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Monday, December 29, 2008
Off

I wasn't going to post today since I posted all the pics yesterday, but I came across this video I liked on Mr. Jenks's blog. It's about a Australian cattle dog (or Australian blue heeler where I'm from) named Skidboot. What this dog is able to do might be unbelievable to some of you, but I don't doubt it for a second. I grew up on a farm where we always had at least one cattle dog/heeler, and often two. They are loyal, amazingly intelligent animals who settle for nothing less than being an integral part of the family.

Though every last one we had was special in a different way, one dog, in particular, will hold a special place in all our hearts. His name was Sarge, and he was my dad's constant companion for years. In the winter, when daddy brought in wood for the stove, Sarge would make every trip back and forth from the woodpile with him--every time with a stick of wood in his mouth. If a hog got out of the barn or the lot, he would come to the back door and bark until we came to check it out. Then, he would go put the hog back in the fence and stand to block the hole until you got there and repaired it. He would sit by my dad's chair, one paw uplifted to "hold hands" with him as long as Daddy would let him. When Daddy finally gave up, Sarge would just slide down and lie there, content to be next to his master. I could go on forever about him then just start telling more tales about the others. The dogs taught me a great affection for dogs in general. I can really not do justice to what dogs have added and continue to add to my life.

So, now, here's Skidboot..



WORKOUT: 16kg snatch 1 min R/1 min L/1 min rest x 8

YESTERDAY'S WORKOUT: 4 4-rung ladders of pull-up/push-ups. Pull-ups assisted with the green band.
3 3-rung ladders of door-jamb assisted pistols
20kg TGU 1/1
20kg Tabata swings.
Good workout. Those pistols smoked my legs.

4 comments:

  1. That is an amazing story about a man and his dog. It would be such a privilege to know David Hartwig, who seems so unaffected by all of this.

    I have know lot of working Texas cowboys..They all remind me of David. This was especially poignant to me..Yesterday we decided to help an old border collie (Tim) of ours pass on. We rescued him 8 years ago, and he spent those years on our farm, as the dog-in-charge.

    When he arrived, our other border collie (Luke) had recently had both cruciate ligaments repaired. Luke would not get up unless he had to, and was not getting any exercise. We were getting worried that he would not recover.

    Tim showed up, got Luke off his butt and made Luke work. We called Tim Luke's personal trainer. Luke had 4 more good years because of Tim.

    Dogs.

    Thanks Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ALMOST didn't watch the video, and I'm so glad I chose to take the time. That was amazing and a wonderful way to start a day, Jennifer. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bryan,
    I am so unbelievably sorry about Tim. I have tears in my eyes just thinking about the beautiful gift you gave to him. Border Collies and heelers/cattle dogs are amazingly similar in character/intelligence, so you know just what I grew up with. And I know just what you went through with Tim. We had a black lab a few years back (like you 'most all our dogs are rescues) who got me through med school and residency. I was then out of both and signing a contract for my second job--the job I have now. She was 15 years old and we had had our golden retriever for almost a year. She had had the opportunity to train her well. She was beginning to get to the point that we knew we would soon have to man-up and help her out. One night she convinced us to throw a pallette in the living room so we could all stretch out and sleep there. (Isn't it funny how they communicate so well without talking?) Anyway, we did, and she lay next to me, snuggling, for over 4 hours. She was not a snuggly dog; it was the first time she had ever done that. Usually, she'd give you 10 minutes then be outta there. This time, though, she relished the time. Two days later, while my nephew was dog-sitting for us, she walked outside, lay down, and died. I will always believe that was a precious gift she gave us. I don't know what I would have done if we'd had had to make the sacrifice you did. And I will always believe she knew I just wasn't up for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie,
    I'm so glad I could help start your day well! :)

    ReplyDelete